Kariuki News

Where you can catch up with our life and ministry and get info on how to plug in through prayers and partnership

Saturday, December 19, 1998

WHAT is a world view?!

How does it affect my work in Mozambique?

"YWAM is a cockroach mission."

The most important thing I can do as a leader is disciple disciplers.

What are the giants that Africa is facing today?

The church that is not discipling a nation,

will be discipled by that nation.

News From Jo December 1998

These are some of the questions and concepts that we've talked about so far in the LTS (Leadership Training School) here in South Africa. WOW! It has been an incredible time of soaking up teachings, making new friends, studying like crazy, experiencing some wonderful times with God in corporate worship and on my own, seeing snow again for the first time in two years (!!) and enjoying a much-needed break from the pressures and responsibilities I've had in Mozambique. (More of a change of scenery than an actual break, I’m sure you can tell it has been pretty busy!)

Part of the LTS is preparing a proposal for a project that God has put on my heart that I plan to implement in the future, and I am doing a project of discipling rural women in Mozambique. We’ve had to break it down into steps to reaching our objectives and goals, do a time line, and budget, communication... All that fun stuff! It is something that has been on my heart for several years, and I am really looking forward to implementing the vision.

By the way, if you are wondering why YWAM is known as the "cockroach mission" it's that we are all over the world (over 100 countries) don’t have much money, and you just can't get rid of us!

I'm so glad God brought me here. Before coming I asked him for a real time of refreshing and

renewing, of me personally and of my vision for missions, and He has been so faithful to do just that!

I also asked that I would gain practical skills that I can put to use in what I do, and that is some of what we are doing now, in planning, goal-setting for our projects. So I feel coming here has been very definitely time well spent and a lot of fun, as well.

South Africa is a beautiful nation with a lot of wonderful people. Worcester, where the LTS is being held, is a small town in the heart of the vineyards and wine producing region close to Cape Town. It was in Worcester that revival broke out in the late 1800's under Andrew Murray and spread throughout Southern Africa. The town is surrounded by mountains and it is gorgeous! Apartheid is no longer official policy in SA, and I have seen some incredible steps of reconciliation between the black, white and coloured peoples. God is indeed doing a new thing. Much reconciliation is yet to happen, though, please keep this beautiful country in your prayers.

I don't know if you have ever had anyone ask you how to be saved. I went to a coloured township yesterday and we were going door-to-door. The first home we went to, after we had asked if there was anything we could pray about with them, for the woman we were speaking to just started crying and said that she had a drinking problem and wanted to become a Christian. (Wow, that was easy!) So, we had the privilege of leading a grandmother named JoAnna to the Lord! Please pray for her that she would be strong in the Lord, and He would give her the strength to overcome her drinking problem.

My next step is - well, staying here! YWAM here in Worcester is offering a course from January to April called Foundations in Community Development. This is a course designed to equip us with practical tools for setting up development projects within our communities, as well as giving us a Biblical perspective on development. It fits in perfectly with what I will be doing in the future, and I'm glad to be able to take the opportunity to get some more training. (Having said that, the thought of studying for another three months is just a bit daunting, but I am hoping that after Christmas break, I will be ready to hit the books again.)

I'll be spending Christmas (in a town called Bethlehem!) with my friend, Alison, and her family here in South Africa. Alison and I were roommates for the last half of last year, before she joined a YWAM team in the north of Mozambique. It will be wonderful to see her again, and I am so glad to have somewhere to go for Christmas that is NOT a YWAM base!

My plan is to come back to the States next year in May or June. The community development course ends in April, and I will be going back to Mozambique for a few weeks, and then on to Kenya for a friend’s wedding. I’ll spend several months in the States (not sure how long yet!) and then back to Mozambique to do this project I’m spending all my time planning now.

In closing I just want to wish you all a wonderful Christmas, and a very happy New Year!

Love,

Jo

PS My address will remain the same until the middle of April -

Jo Groff - c/o FCD, YWAM Worcester

PO Box 926

6849 Worcester

South Africa

Email - jogroff@boland.lia.net

I’ve lost some of your e-mail addresses in yet another computer problem... sigh! If you haven’t heard from me since I’ve been in South Africa, (not even an e-mail newsletter) I don’t have your address! If you’d like to get prayer updates via e-mail, and you’re not already, just send me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment