Kariuki News

Where you can catch up with our life and ministry and get info on how to plug in through prayers and partnership

Monday, July 19, 1999

East Africa... Where my love is!


News from Jo

Hello everyone! Hope this finds you well. Just wanted to update you on the last few months, where I am at now and what's up next.

EAST AFRICA

I was in East Africa for the wedding of my friend Nancy, which was in Uganda in May. Great time, good to see old friends, SO glad I could be there. I also spent a weekend in Uganda in June visiting Nancy and her husband Sam, they are wonderful friends and it was so special to have time with them. The other reason I was in Kenya was to spend some time with Moses, a very special friend who you may have heard about already...more on "us" later! He was leading the SBS Core Course (School of Biblical Studies, for those of you who don't speak "YWAMese") in Athi River, just outside of Nairobi. I helped out with admin and practical things there at the Youth With A Mission base until the middle of June. It was exciting to see the students growing in their love for the Word of God, and in their practical skills of how to study and teach it. Hopefully I will be able to do this course sometime soon. Perhaps if I keep hanging out with the school leader...? While in Nairobi, I also got to spend some time with Chuck and Ruth, very special friends who I worked with in Shimba Hills when I was in Kenya before.

SOUTH AFRICA?!!.....

Yes, that's right BACK to South Africa! When I left in April, I didn't think that I would be back so soon, but here I am again. We came down overland (in a very long succession of busses lasting for almost a week) and are here helping with the same Biblical Studies course that ran in Kenya, only this time the location is in Muizenberg, just outside of Cape Town. I am once again doing some admin and practical things - I think my official job description is "gopher." Moses is staffing the course, and much more involved in the academic areas than I am (and I don't mind a bit!) Muizenberg is right on the coast. The base is only a few blocks from the beach, but don't get too jealous, it is way too cold to want to spend any amount of time there. (Plus, I'm working, honest!!)

UP NEXT?

I am planning on coming back to the U.S. soon, the original plan was to return in May, but that's obviously been thrown out in favour of spending some more time with a certain tall, dark handsome one from Kenya. I am booked on a flight arriving the 14th of Sept., will be going on vacation with my family from the 18th to the 24th, and then spending the next few months getting in touch with friends and family again, before coming back to Africa in December or January. It has been over two and a half years now since I've been in the States, and I am REALLY looking forward to seeing everyone again, and all the fun things you can do and get in the US that just aren't the same anywhere else.

AND THE QUESTION YOU'VE ALL BEEN WANTING TO ASK.....

yes, we are GETTING MARRIED! I've been blessed with an incredible man who loves God, loves me, and has become a very precious part of my life. Moses is truly the best thing that has happened to me for a very long time, and I am grateful to the Lord for bringing us together. The short story is that we met last year in the Leadership Training School here in South Africa, were good friends, and well, things started turning into more than "good friends" around the beginning of this year. The long story..well, if you REALLY want to know all the details, let me know and I will happily gab on for ages, are there any brave takers out there on that offer?! SO, Moses will be coming to the U.S. in September, and we are planning to get married before the end of the year. Please keep us in your prayers as we plan this next step in our lives.

PLEASE STAND WITH US

  • I'd appreciate if you could pray with us in the following areas-
  • Our airfares to come to the States, and provision for our time there. We currently need about $2000 for our tickets home and rest of our expenses here.
  • Praise God that Moses got a visa to the U.S. - and that was after the people at the embassy told us it was next to impossible.
  • For the Biblical Studies Course here in South Africa to be fruitful in sending people out to train up others. We have 18 students and are believing God for a multiplication of Bible teachers into third world countries.
  • Pray for Moses and I in our relationship, that we would continue to learn and grow together.

Thank you all for your friendship and your love. I appreciate you so much, and am looking forward to seeing you soon!

Love,

Jo

JoAnna Groff - 756 Bellevue Avenue, Gap, PA 17527, USA

Phone (717) 442-8394 (after Sept. 14th)

E-mail:

Financial support can be sent to: Youth With A Mission, PO Box YWAM, Cimarron, CO 81220

*Please make checks payable to "YWAM" with a separate note saying it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment